Thursday, October 11, 2007

Getaway in Stockholm

A year ago I had an awesome time in Sweden and so when I heard that work was sending us there again, I was stoked! While we were there in the height of summer last time, I figured going there in September should still be ok.... And it was ok, but yeah.. it's starting to get cold there (check it.. 10 degrees during the day)! Plus, it rains a lot at this time of year. But still, don't let that put you off, it's still a great city (very majestic!) and now is an ok time to visit as a lot of leaves on the trees are changing colour.

Things didn't start that well though as we found out that there was almost NO accommodation in Stockholm for the periods we were trying to migrate as there was some international doctors conference on or something. We did manage to find a hotel, and it was ok, but the area it was in wasn't that cool. Still, at least I was in a cool city! The main reason I was a little bummed we because we had two Swedish migrations scheduled, one in Stockholm, then the following weekend in Gothenburg. The lack of accommodation meant that I couldn't hang around between the migrations and see some of the cities.. oh well.

But still, there was one more really bad piece of luck headed our way. On the Friday night we got a lot of work done and had an easy-looking Saturday in front of us. We all left at about 11:30pm (or 12 for my boss), but at about 1am some guys kicked in a window, stole over thirty laptops and got out before the security could get there at 1:05am. We couldn't believe it! This meant that not only was a lot of our work wasted, we knew we were going to have to help set up replacement machines if they could get a hold of them in time.

We did still manage to knock off the majority of the migration work by Saturday evening (despite me nicking out for lunch to watch the Aussie Rugby game), so we could go out on the town. Interestingly we had asked office staff of the 'good' places to go and proceeded to head out, and it turned out that these places were almost exactly the same places I'd been to a year ago (so Stoney and Meyer, we got real lucky last year!). I don't know exactly what time I got back but it was a pretty good night, returning somewhere around 4am after going from one bar, to another, then to a club to dance, then to another club for drinks. I can't remember many names, but the last place we went to was called the Sky Bar and it was pretty good. The club we'd danced in was downstairs, but I can't remember the name.

The next day I managed to get out of bed at a reasonably good hour and take a walk around town, checking some shops but particularly spending quite a bit of time walking around the cute streets of old town. The is a big church there which has this awesome statue inside. Plus this weird candle holder 'thing' which I thought was really cool. Unfortunately just as I was about to go into a museum my boss called me and asked me to come in and help with some things. Bummer!

That's about it! Quite a boring weekend where I actually had to work every day (for the first time in a while). We did get a night out on the town, and Stockholm is still a great place to visit and really pretty, but the winter seems to come on early so I'd advise getting there in the heart of summer. I've been told that in the old town there are some medieval restaurants where you eat in the basement next to the original city walls, and they serve 'ye olde' food and the waiters dress in costume etc.. I gotta try that sometime!!! One day I'd also love to take a journey up into the north parts of the country, but for now that will just have to wait. Careful: don't drive into the water!!!

Anka

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home