Warsaw and Amsterdam
After Oslo I had to head back to Warsaw for the third time, so I've seen a lot of the town and won't go into any major descriptions of what we did. The migration went pretty well and we got out on Saturday night. We tried to get into a real fancy place called Cinnamon however it was a 'private party' (i.e. you don't look rich enough to go inside) and from what we heard, it's mainly a pickup group for younger women wanting older richy men.
Still, it really wasn't an issue as we had a brilliant night anyway. Firstly we went to a small bar/club nearby and had a few drinks. There we met some people who'd spent a lot of time in Aus and so we had easy common ground. After the first place closed we went with them on to another nightclub under the Opera House (called funnily enough, 'Opera'). This place was awesome! It is a big cellar so it has connected smaller rooms opening out onto one big main area, and had a DJ and jazz saxophonist playing all night. Great dancing, classy venue and plenty of nice people there.. Unfortunately I didn't my camera so I don't have any pics :(
The other thing that was really great was our hotel - the Intercontinental. It's the tallest hotel in Poland and has the best gym I've ever seen in a hotel, plus and indoor pool overlooking the city, and it's not that expensive. If you are heading to Poland, I recommend you try it.
From Warsaw we went to Amsterdam to finish I migration we'd partially prepared for previously. Every time I've been to Amsterdam this year there's been dodgy weather, but I got a little luckier this time. The work went well and we got Sunday but we finished late on Saturday night and so just got pretty drunk in the hotel bar.
Oh, we were in the hotel bar because it was the Airport Sheraton - what a crap hotel!!! Because of some massive conference, it was the ONLY accommodation we could get in town, and even then we were paying 420 euros per night!! (bloody crazy). While the hotel was crap, being so far out of town just made going anywhere totally annoying, so nobody was interesting in a big Saturday night on the town.
On Sunday I did manage to get up, hit the (crap) gym and then go into town. I decided to do some touristy things as I've walked around a lot, but not really gone into anything. Accordingly I went to see the Anne Frank's House museum and then to the Rijksmuseum. Anne Frank's place is ok, but it doesn't blow your socks off that much. On the other hand, the Rijksmuseum has some amazing artwork including some famous Rembrandt's. These were the first paintings in quite a while which have made me stop and look at them thinking 'wow, that's pretty damn cool' (or anything similar). So I was really glad I went to see them. Unfortunately I didn't have time to see the Van Gogh museum... booo! I found a few street parties while I was walking too, must have been some festival.




Oh.. the idea of having a carpark for bikes can only work in Amsterdam eh...! And I've seen more of these little smart-car imitations around Europe.. they're hilariously small when you see a fat dude trying to get out of one.



Anyway, Amsterdam (again) and Warsaw (again).... a fairly quiet two weeks....
Anka
Still, it really wasn't an issue as we had a brilliant night anyway. Firstly we went to a small bar/club nearby and had a few drinks. There we met some people who'd spent a lot of time in Aus and so we had easy common ground. After the first place closed we went with them on to another nightclub under the Opera House (called funnily enough, 'Opera'). This place was awesome! It is a big cellar so it has connected smaller rooms opening out onto one big main area, and had a DJ and jazz saxophonist playing all night. Great dancing, classy venue and plenty of nice people there.. Unfortunately I didn't my camera so I don't have any pics :(
The other thing that was really great was our hotel - the Intercontinental. It's the tallest hotel in Poland and has the best gym I've ever seen in a hotel, plus and indoor pool overlooking the city, and it's not that expensive. If you are heading to Poland, I recommend you try it.
From Warsaw we went to Amsterdam to finish I migration we'd partially prepared for previously. Every time I've been to Amsterdam this year there's been dodgy weather, but I got a little luckier this time. The work went well and we got Sunday but we finished late on Saturday night and so just got pretty drunk in the hotel bar.
Oh, we were in the hotel bar because it was the Airport Sheraton - what a crap hotel!!! Because of some massive conference, it was the ONLY accommodation we could get in town, and even then we were paying 420 euros per night!! (bloody crazy). While the hotel was crap, being so far out of town just made going anywhere totally annoying, so nobody was interesting in a big Saturday night on the town.
On Sunday I did manage to get up, hit the (crap) gym and then go into town. I decided to do some touristy things as I've walked around a lot, but not really gone into anything. Accordingly I went to see the Anne Frank's House museum and then to the Rijksmuseum. Anne Frank's place is ok, but it doesn't blow your socks off that much. On the other hand, the Rijksmuseum has some amazing artwork including some famous Rembrandt's. These were the first paintings in quite a while which have made me stop and look at them thinking 'wow, that's pretty damn cool' (or anything similar). So I was really glad I went to see them. Unfortunately I didn't have time to see the Van Gogh museum... booo! I found a few street parties while I was walking too, must have been some festival.
Oh.. the idea of having a carpark for bikes can only work in Amsterdam eh...! And I've seen more of these little smart-car imitations around Europe.. they're hilariously small when you see a fat dude trying to get out of one.
Anyway, Amsterdam (again) and Warsaw (again).... a fairly quiet two weeks....
Anka

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home