Thursday, October 11, 2007

Gothenburg

Following a couple of days off in Paris after Stockholm (where I bought some nice new boots for mahself - they're a little cowboyish), I was headed back to Sweden to do a migration in Gothenburg. It's a smaller city of only about half a million people but it seems to have a good amount of business there (I think it's the next biggest town after Stockholm or something).

Right from the start I enjoyed being there as it's really beautiful. There's waterways running through the city, but also lots of parks and green areas as well as interesting buildings. Our hotel was pretty decent and on the first day I managed to get out and take a good look around. One of the biggest issues I expected was finding a place to watch the Aussie Rugby game, but a few Irish pubs near the hotel meant it wasn't a big problem.

Things also went pretty well with the migration and we managed to get out on Saturday afternoon with a couple of hours of light left. That gave us a chance to walk around town a little and work out where things were, and where we should head out to that night. I snapped off a few pics but the best stuff we saw (two things I've never seen before) was right at the end of the walk.

The first thing was a massive ship, carrying another ship! It looked pretty cool and the photo does absolutely no justice to the size of the thing. The second though, was a floating car park.. now that was cool. Until we got pretty close, my workmate and I thought it was just a moored boat, but then we noticed that it was completely empty. It took a little while, but in the end we worked it out (before the sign gave it away), and I thought it was pretty damn cool!

That night we found a really nice bar where first we got some nice food, and then stayed as the music kicked off and the place really filled up. We spoke to a bunch of Swedish people and had a lot of cool drinks till about 4am. Good stuff.

On Sunday I managed to find a tour operating, and although there's a lot of nice churches and buildings, there isn't THAT much to see. There's a big bridge, some cute half timber houses, a tower on a hill and this lovely lady looking out over the harbour protecting it. There is a local joke/story that she's supposed to be looking over the harbour, but she's actually not, she's looking at the other bank of the river, where her lover was.

The best parts of Gothenburg are the park areas, there's lots of them and there's plenty of water around etc for long relaxing walks. The tour only took around an hour or so, but I walked around the parks for a while more and checked out the older town before finding a pub and watching the rugby for the afternoon.

Monday support went pretty well and I found myself on a plane back to Paris. Quite a relaxing work week for me!

Anka

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home