Monday, December 25, 2006

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!

I've really enjoyed my last 24 hours and although I've felt a little homesick, my family and friends here in London have helped to still make it great fun. Thanks to all!

After getting in at a stupid hour from Salzburg, I slept late and only got up on Christmas Eve with just enough time to sneak past the shops for some wrapping paper, cards and other stuff to finish up my presents. Although the shops were pretty empty, there was some serious competition on for some of the last items, most of which had gone on sale right at the end. I was lucky enough to sort it all out before I left for Austria, thank goodness!

After that little bit of shopping, I headed up to CK's place for a bit of an 'Orphan Christmas' bash. It's a bit of a tradition where all the Aussies in London who don't have family band together and make a Christmas family/bash of their own. There were a few people who'd basically moved into CK's place for a few days (no public transport on Christmas Day makes getitng anywhere ludicrously expensive) and they had started their all partying. I nabbed a few beers on the way in which were quietly consumed while catching up with everyone (they'd had a hard night the previous night) and joking around. Before I knew it it was time to head home.

As I'd only just bought my Christmas wrapping paper etc, it took me a couple of hours to wrap everything up. I totally forgot how much I bought, and lets face it, boys aren't the most gifted of wrappers in the world. Eventually I got everything looking semi-decent and covered, so I hit the hay.

Well today was great. I bought my little cousins Spiderman and Power Rangers pyjamas and dressing-gowns. As soon as they opened them they put on the dressing gowns which was really gratifying... they look awesomely cute if I do say so myself. They got a pile of other presents too which I took inordinate delight sifting through. Man kids stuff is cool! Oh, and in the second pic of the little cousins I'd told them to act tough as they were superheroes.. they look so awesome (I think the older one is about to seriously open a can of whoop ass on something off camera!).

After the prezzie ceremonies, the serious cooking got underway. In between helping with the preparation, keeping the boys occupied and setting up I managed to say hello to all my family back in Perth. It was so amazing to see everyone and having them (you) all there on camera (Skype - where would I be without you) almost made me feel like climbing into the computer monitor and teleporting to Perth. Although I've got plenty of family here in London, it is strange to not be with mum/dad and all the siblings dealing out ass-punches, generally annoying each other and whatnot while stuffing my face at the traditional massive breakfast and then late lunch. I miss you guys! (and the food of course!)

Shortly afterwards everyone started arriving and soon the house was full of noise and laughter. My cousin had brought along afew extra guests who'd had their flights (and therefore holiday plans) to Paris cancelled - I wasn't kidding that air travel here is stuffed at the moment! We had a massive lunch/dinner (it went on for quite a while) and a bit of a dance towards the end when everyone started getting fully into the festive spirit (ok, drunk). A really good day in all. Oh, and presents! I got some gloves from my aunt/uncle (which I BADLY needed - thankyou), some aftershave from my other aunt/uncle staying here (very nice) and a DVD from my cousin Claire (perfect as I need something watch when travelling on trains etc).

So now I've just tidied up all my blogging loose ends. I have basically packed for Canada (well, jammed a pile of crap in a suitcase) so hopefully all will be well for my flight tomorrow. There's been a lot of cancelled flights etc this year because of a number of reasons so fingers crossed I get out ok.

Take care all during this festive season (especially on those WA roads) and have a brilliant time. I hope all of you are getting out in the wonderful summer sun and to some of those awesome places like Mandurah, Margaret River etc. My new year will be rung in on a mountainside in Canada, so I'll be sure to get plenty of pics for you all. Everyone please feel free to email me your own pics and reports of the fun you get up to (so I don't miss out on all the stories).

See you all in a few weeks - I'll be in Canada until the 15th Jan but hopefully I'll throw up some blog posts as I go along.

Merry Christmas!

Anka

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home