Sunday, September 17, 2006

Searching for Dockers games in London

Hello again everyone, I know it’s been a little while since my last post but I’ve been working here in London a fair bit so there hasn’t been that much going on (well, not that much that is as exciting as La Tomatina (photos are now up of that by the way courtesy of CK and his waterproof disposable).

Last weekend was CK’s birthday, so Friday was a very big night. For once we managed to get CK drunk good-and-proper! He got so wasted that he decided to go for a walk to sober up, but then decided that headbutting a tree would also help. According to CK, he did this quite a few times before heading back into the pub. Weird man!!! After getting kicked out of the pub, we went back to CK’s place, and after a small trip to a late night off-license store (bottle-o), kept drinking.

So at 6:30am (my time) on Saturday morning I start getting SMS’s from all you lovely people in Aus regarding the start of the Dockers game. Being a true fan, I dragged myself to CK’s staircase (as I was sleeping on the couch), opened my laptop, found an open wireless point and started listening to the webcast. Aside from head feeling like it wanted to split open it was pretty good to hear, even if we did lose. The rest of the day consisted of getting home and having a little ‘nap’ as that was about all I could manage.

I had previously arranged with another friend to go out on Saturday night to see a play called ‘The Vegemite Tales’. It’s about Aussie living in London and even for a newcomer like me, it was really entertaining. Oh yeah, and I was almost late for it because I was still having my ‘nanna-nap’ from the big night before.

The big drawcard of the play is that the lead character is being played by Blair McDonald (or something, the dude on Big Brother who went to Neighbours and looks like Shannon Noll). My friend was a little disappointed when we were told that he wasn’t the lead that night, but I thought we got a better deal because it turns out the lead understudy is the dude who plays Connor in Neighbours! He is actually a really good actor and really funny, it is just weird to hear him speaking without and Irish accent. After dinner we grabbed dinner and drinks in a French bar in Soho, it was a really good night.

On Sunday, I was pretty wrecked and as it was a nice day, a friend an I walked from Southfields up to Wimbledon village and had a couple of quiet ones outside in the sun. IT was very nice and peaceful.

Since then, I’ve been working every day, but it hasn’t been too hard as we are only working normal 8-hour days. After weeks of punishing my liver with alcohol, I decided to have a few days of cleansing and made sure that I got home from work (most days) in time to go for a run or do some exercise. I sorely need it, plus the weather is starting to get crap, so I should make the most of it. Tuesday night I went out for a few drinks, but it wasn’t a big one.

On Friday I had to make up about 50000 excuses at work why I couldn’t leave my laptop and go and do things. I was listening to the Dockers kick the arses of Melbourne through headphones and wasn’t about to pass it up for anything!! Go Dockers!! It’s so awesome that they are actually in the finals and they’ve won a game, but so totally sucky that I am not there to see it!!! The annoying thing about London is that everyone only has Sky Sports here, and the AFL coverage on it is SO crap that the games are shown one day later!!! That’s so dumb!! Only about five pubs in the whole damn city are even showing the Grand Final. I’m disgusted!

OK Enough ranting, but that is about it. I met up with some friends last night for dinner/drinks at a Mexican place which wasn’t too spectacular. The cocktails were better than the food! And as we’d worked lots over the last 2 days, today was meant to be a day off for us (we did 3 days work in 2 basically). I was literally on my way out the door to go and meet CK and some mates at a pub out near Greenwich when I got a phone call because a server died here at the client site I’m working on… CURSES! I missed beautiful day, with the sun shining and the chance to look around Greenwich again! At least I went for a run this morning though.

As for the coming week, I’m eagerly awaiting Friday so that I can again be glued to my laptop when the Dockers beat Sydney! (keep the faith people…!) I am loving the idea of an all WA Grand Final as I do expect the Eagles to beat Adelaide as well.. they played well last weekend. Miss also arrives on Thursday but this weekend we are doing a massive site migration and so she’ll unfortunately have to fend for herself (literally everyone is out of town this weekend, it’s bizarre). After that, all I have to do is make it through to next Tuesday and I’m off travelling for another two weeks starting at Oktoberfest! Its gonna be awesome as it’ll be like reliving the World Cup and I can’t wait to wrap my hands around a ‘Mass’ (Stein) again! After that it’s Venice, Rome and Paris so there will be lots of pictures again.

That reminds me, I got the camera fixed within about 3 days but it cost 130 quid. That’s almost the price of a new one!!! Still, at least I have travel insurance so the excess on that is only 50quid.

Talk to you guys soon!

Anka

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home