A night in...
It's been something like nearly two weeks, but I've finally had a night in. It was all the more remarkable because I actually managed to finish work today around 6pm, which is like 'normal' time for London. Unbelievable! Needless to say, the good fortune won't last as Friday and Saturday are still going be nasty with lots of work etc, but that's just how it goes. I also had a massive craving for pasta, and as there's nothing really here in Southfields in that vein, I knocked up a kickass Chicken Parmigiana fo myself (and David tomorrow if he wants it). Pasta is awesome eh....
So since the last post, I've managed to make it back from Amsterdam alive. The big thing that killed me was the fact that although we worked till nearly 2am on Saturday night, I then went out clubbing with Paul and some Amsterdam people until 6am. Then I started work again at 9am Sunday... pretty evil! The club we went to was pretty funny though - they only play a song for 1 or 2 mins, then cut into another song. The mixing is pretty bad too, where one second you're listening to a weird rocky Dutch tune, and the next is full on dance/rave music.... Also, when you arrive in a pub, everyone puts in say.. 10 euro.. in a little 'kitty' and the drinks are bought with that. The saying 'going Dutch' really does apply!
(note: I've been chastened by the Amsterdam crew not to rag on all of their clubs as we seemed to just be unlucky that night with the DJ. Reports are that they go off most of the time. So cheers Yvonne and Femke, I'll expect a more complete tour of the best places next time I'm there!!)
Fortunately on Sunday/Monday we managed to finish the rest of the deployment in Amsterdam without too many issues. The last kick in the teeth though was that our plane was delayed over 2 hours on takeoff, and then getting out of Heathrow was painful as bad weather during the day had caused a massive backlg of flights. By the time we got back into central London it was past 10pm (our plane was meant to LAND at 7pm originally). Even the BA lounge in Amsterdam was crap.. but at least there's free alcohol.
After crashing Monday night, I had to get up early on Tuesday to see Paul off from Paddington station because he has now left for the US. We had a last few Magners and caught up on all the weekend events. I reckon Paul took quite a shine to Europe and it'll only be a matter of time before he comes back (as Leighton says: 'cmon Paul, cmon!!!). Later that night I caught up with CK and saw the new Luc Besson movie Angel-a. I actually really liked it, but I think it's a bit hit-and-miss with critics as some write glowing reports, and others bag it out.
Although Wednesday is technically my day off, I was 'good' and went to work to try and write up all of the doco I took on the weekend. I get paid by the day anyway, so why not. Still, I got almost all of it done before heading to the 'Oktoberfest' pub to catch up with Ck, Michelle and other randoms like CK's housemates and some of my other friends. The bad thing was they closed the kitchen on me (all I'd had all day was a baguette!) and yeah, I got pretty smashed. This morning I paid for it :)
This weekends work is in London and it doesn't seem as bad as Amsterdam, so hopefully I'll have time to go out. The weather is just starting to turn cold here, so I've gotta make the most of it while I can. I've also gotta plan my trips to Spain for 'La Tomatina' later this month, Germany for 'Oktoberfest' at the end of September and then maybe snowboarding early December with some guys from work. It's all very tough :)
Later!
Anka
So since the last post, I've managed to make it back from Amsterdam alive. The big thing that killed me was the fact that although we worked till nearly 2am on Saturday night, I then went out clubbing with Paul and some Amsterdam people until 6am. Then I started work again at 9am Sunday... pretty evil! The club we went to was pretty funny though - they only play a song for 1 or 2 mins, then cut into another song. The mixing is pretty bad too, where one second you're listening to a weird rocky Dutch tune, and the next is full on dance/rave music.... Also, when you arrive in a pub, everyone puts in say.. 10 euro.. in a little 'kitty' and the drinks are bought with that. The saying 'going Dutch' really does apply!
(note: I've been chastened by the Amsterdam crew not to rag on all of their clubs as we seemed to just be unlucky that night with the DJ. Reports are that they go off most of the time. So cheers Yvonne and Femke, I'll expect a more complete tour of the best places next time I'm there!!)
Fortunately on Sunday/Monday we managed to finish the rest of the deployment in Amsterdam without too many issues. The last kick in the teeth though was that our plane was delayed over 2 hours on takeoff, and then getting out of Heathrow was painful as bad weather during the day had caused a massive backlg of flights. By the time we got back into central London it was past 10pm (our plane was meant to LAND at 7pm originally). Even the BA lounge in Amsterdam was crap.. but at least there's free alcohol.
After crashing Monday night, I had to get up early on Tuesday to see Paul off from Paddington station because he has now left for the US. We had a last few Magners and caught up on all the weekend events. I reckon Paul took quite a shine to Europe and it'll only be a matter of time before he comes back (as Leighton says: 'cmon Paul, cmon!!!). Later that night I caught up with CK and saw the new Luc Besson movie Angel-a. I actually really liked it, but I think it's a bit hit-and-miss with critics as some write glowing reports, and others bag it out.
Although Wednesday is technically my day off, I was 'good' and went to work to try and write up all of the doco I took on the weekend. I get paid by the day anyway, so why not. Still, I got almost all of it done before heading to the 'Oktoberfest' pub to catch up with Ck, Michelle and other randoms like CK's housemates and some of my other friends. The bad thing was they closed the kitchen on me (all I'd had all day was a baguette!) and yeah, I got pretty smashed. This morning I paid for it :)
This weekends work is in London and it doesn't seem as bad as Amsterdam, so hopefully I'll have time to go out. The weather is just starting to turn cold here, so I've gotta make the most of it while I can. I've also gotta plan my trips to Spain for 'La Tomatina' later this month, Germany for 'Oktoberfest' at the end of September and then maybe snowboarding early December with some guys from work. It's all very tough :)
Later!
Anka

2 Comments:
What does "leave a comment do?" guess I will find out in a second.
That's so full on. I'm not doing anything fun until September. Bah, Yawn !
Family will be going to the Barossa valley then and Adelaide. Its Susan's birthday today and Jill's next week so busy with birthdays ATM.
Fatman.
Not all Dutch clubs have bad DJ's, we just went to worst club in Amsterdam we guess!!! Don't make us Dutchies look bad in your blog please?!
Greetz from Yvonne en Femke
Post a Comment
<< Home