Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Germany Wrap-Up

The last portions of the German road trip involved heading to Munich for just one day, then back to Frankfurt for two final days of preparation before the big first migration in Dusseldorf. Following that weekend, I did manage to nick a couple of days in Hamburg just to look at the sites.

Munich was pretty crazy as I got a train into town around 6pm that night, and on a whim just sms'd my friends to see if anyone was in town for Oktoberfest. And amazingly, a couple of mates were! while we didn't have time to go to Oktoberfest and drink, we did catch up at another of their friends houses and have a nice dinner. The following day I had to visit two agencies before getting on a train to Frankfurt. Lucky I've been to Oktoberfest before!

Frankfurt was pretty boring for those two days, it was all just work. Because of the International Book Fair going on, I had to stay at a hotel a little out of the city, so I didn't do much.

Finally that weekend we did the Dusseldorf migration, and Lany came to see me. As I wrote a few posts ago, we worked quite late, but enjoyed the chance to see the Rugby on the Saturday night and then go out for some serious drinking..... (again). It seems my liver has a weak spot for Dusseldorf :)

So to complete the quick summary, Hamburg ended up being a bit of a bust. Although I was meant to see two agencies, one was basically minuscule (10 people) and the other was 100 people, but well organised. As such I did all my work in one day, and had the second to look around.

My luck didn't hold out however and it rained a LOT most of the time I was there. On my day off I did try to look around, but in the early afternoon it started raining really heavily, and I had to abandon my chances to see the city. Still, I found a nice old bombed church which has partially been restored/preserved as a memorial of the war, found some nice gardens, some of the big official buildings around town and got some decent grub, so it wasn't a total loss. I got a look around later at night, but only for a short time as it was really cold, and it started to rain again. I did have dinner at a restaurant over the lake though. (The last photo was the view from my hotel room).

Hamburg is a nice looking city with the old town has the water/canals and such which are very pretty. Also there's a couple of big lakes in town which my hotel overlooked. I jogged around one and was happy to make the 7.5ish km's without too much struggle (I was far from quick though). It seems quite a commercial city with lots of shops and things, so maybe I'll see it again when we eventually migrate it.


That was the end of Germany (well for a little while). I then jetted off to Madrid for work, but I'll get into that later.

Catchas

Anka

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home